COLLEGE HISTORY

In 1905, a small group of Sisters of Mercy came from Wentworth to Mildura and established a convent in a weatherboard building on the corner of Pine Avenue and Tenth Street.

Catholic secondary education commenced in Mildura in 1906 when the Sisters of Mercy began conducting classes in rooms attached to the original convent in Pine Avenue. The Certificate of Registration of a School dated 31st December 1906, indicates that sub-primary, primary and secondary classes were being conducted from the convent at the time.

In 1911 boarding school facilities were provided in Olive Avenue and in 1914 a new school was erected in Walnut Avenue. The first buildings of St Joseph’s College at its present site were opened in 1929.

Today the College has well equipped classrooms, science and computer laboratories, creative arts and design and technology complex, religious education centre, library, sports facilities, staff and student amenities.

Heritage Centre Opening Booklet 2015 (PDF)





Major building projects include:

Administration
Original offices opened 1979. Refurbished to include staff areas, officially blessed May 17 1996. Minor refurbishment was undertaken prior to the commencement of the 2009 school year.

Library
Initial library built 1979. Relocated to new ‘Haenen Library’ on site of original classrooms March 20 1988.

Creative Arts
Complex opened as ‘John Howden Centre’ 1984. Refurbished to include Technology and Sports facilities 2002.

McAuley Wing
New classrooms, officially opened 1992 and refurbished to commence the 2009 school year. Nearby portable classrooms were included in this refurbishment.

Langtree Park
Classrooms, Careers, VCE Study and offices. Officially opened 2000.
Mercy Centre: Sisters relocated to 177 Twelfth St. Convent refurbished to include Textiles, Home Economics, LOTE and meeting areas. Official blessing and opening December 7, 2003. Science classrooms refurbished at this time.

Church
Original Mildura Catholic Church relocated and reconsecrated as St Paul’s Primary School Chapel during Mercy Centenary celebrations March 2005.

Chapel
Refurbished and housing the Sisters of Mercy Centenary Sculpture. The chapel was re-opened during the Centenary.

Stadium
St Joseph’s College Stadium was purchased in 2005. Redeveloped during 2008 to include a theatre and dance studio as well as classrooms. Official Blessing and Opening took place on October 20, 2008.

Catherine McAuley Centre
The Catherine McAuley Mathematics and Science Centre was officially opened in 2015.  The building consists of modern and innovative Mathematics and Science facilities which will enable St Joseph's College to provide the best possible learning environment for the future.  

 
ST JOSEPH’S COLLEGE MILDURA FOUNDED IN 1906

HOME   CONTACT   TERMS OF USE   PRIVACY POLICY   LOGIN


 

ENRIGHT CAMPUS
154 Twelfth Street
Mildura VIC 3500
03 5018 8000

MERCY CAMPUS
Cnr Riverside Avenue & Eleventh Street
Mildura VIC 3500

VCAL CAMPUS
8 - 10 Langtree Parade
Mildura VIC 3500